How to obtain the Declaration of Value for US Academic Documents to be recognized in Italy
The American University of Rome (AUR) is licensed by the Delaware Department of Education (DDOE) and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) in the United States.
The American University of Rome is authorized to operate as an American university in Italy by the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research (MIUR).
AUR degrees can be validated in Italy by following the Italian law procedure, as determined by the Lisbon Convention, 11 April 199, about the recognition of academic titles from secondary institutions in the European Region. http://www.miur.it/0006Menu_C/0012Docume/0098Normat/2547Ratifi.htm.
For this reason, students that graduate with an AUR degree and that intend to continue their studies in an Italian university to obtain the Laurea Magistrale (5year degree), will need to provide the Value Declaration (Dichiarazione di Valore) when applying for admission.
The ‘Dichiarazione di Valore’ (Value Declaration) is a document that certifies the value of the degree that is obtained in an educational system that differs from the Italian one. The document is written in Italian and is issued by the Italian Consulate General in Philadelphia.
The following is the procedure to obtain the Dichiarazione di Valore for an AUR degree:
a) Provide the following documents:
- Original Degree Diploma or a notary certified copy, together with Apostille which is produced by the State of Delaware Education (which is the institute that authorizes and recognizes AUR as an education institute). Click here to request the Apostille
- Transcript (exams official certificate) original or notary certified copy, together with Apostille produced by the State of Delaware Education Department (Click here to request the Apostille)
- Italian translation of the Diploma
- Translation in Italian of the Transcript
- Italian translation of Apostille of the Diploma
- Italian translation of Apostille of the Transcript
- A photocopy of the passport in a DHL, FedEx or UPS envelope, prepaid with the address of the senderNB: translations do not need to be produced by legal authorities. They do need to be accurate, complete and need to report all the exact codes and votes as in the original versions.Fill in the request form of the General Italian Consulate in Philadelphia (http://www.consfiladelfia.esteri.it/Consolato_Filadelfia/Menu/In_linea_con_utente/Modulistica/)
b) Send the module and the document at point a) together with the DHL, FedEx or UPS envelope, which needs to be prepaid and include the address of the sender:
Consulate General of Italy in Phialdelphia
Public Ledger Building, suite 1026
150 South Independence Mall West
Philadelphia, PA 19106
Tel: +1 215 279 9565
Fax: +1 215 592 9808
The Apostille: this is in force amongst the countries which have joined the Aja Convention of October 5th 1961 (including Italy and the United States) and substitutes legislations
How to request the Apostille from the Delaware State of Education Department:
a) Provide the following documents:
- Diploma. The document must be validated by the Registrar’s office with a specific seal and the university’s President’s signature in the presence of a notary
- Transcripts which are produced by the AUR Registrar, in a closed envelope with the AUR seal. Click here to download the Transcript request to send once completed to: email@example.com. Transcripts cost 8.00 Euro. Click here to download the payment form for credit card.
- $30 for the Apostille on Diploma and Transcripts. Payments will be received by the State Secretary. The accepted payment methods are:
Check: the check needs to be produced by a US bank in dollar currency. The beneficiary need to be indicated as the Delaware State Secretary
Credit Card: Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover. It is necessary to indicate: card number, CVV2 (the last 3 or 4 digits of the security number in the back of the card), name, address of the cardholder and expiration date.
Cash: The State Department does not recommend sending cash. However, it is possible to pay in cash, and the currency accepted is US dollars.
b) mail the documents (Transcript and Diploma), together with a note that includes name, mailing address, email address, phone number, to the address in this link:
We suggest sending the documents through courier (FedEx, UPS, DHL) or by registered mail.
The Education Department places the Apostille on Diploma and Transcripts, which are later sent by the State Secretary.
If you prefer alternative ways to send the Apostille, you will need to include the relative equivalent.