What is an Internship?
Internships provide students with targeted work experience, allowing them to enter the work force after graduation with related skills in their chosen field. It also affords the chance to evaluate different career paths in depth and in person. Students are given a chance to prove their initiative, reliability, and responsibility all the while putting into practice concepts they have learned in their courses. Internships are a joint opportunity for students to acquire new skills and for companies to benefit from the students’ diverse skill sets and cutting-edge knowledge. Students carry out structured work experiences in companies or organizations that will enhance their academic, professional and personal development.
- Work a minimum of 135 hours (travel time not included)
- Register for and attend the internship course (INT 450)
- Receive a favorable, written evaluation from employer at completion of the internship
- Agree on any additional details with your academic advisor
- Document your work experience
- Give a formal presentation of your internship experience to the class.
- Must be enrolled as full-time AUR resident student, or a two-semester study abroad student
- Must be in good academic standing (GPA 2.5 or above)
- Must have junior or senior standing and have the permission of their academic advisor.
Previous internship opportunities have included:
|Adnkronos||Advicorp Investment Bank||Amnesty International|
|Associated Press||Bioversity International – global research-for-development organization||Caritas|
|CBG e Dipartimento per i Beni e le Attivita`Culturali – Comunita`Ebraica di Rom||Food & Agriculture Organization of the United Nation||Fulbright Commission|
|Hotel Giolli||Italian Parliament||Lorcan O’Neill Art Gallery|
|LoveItaly – Cultural heritage non-profit||Montoro 12 – Contemporary Art||Museo dei Fori Imperiali – Mercati di Traiano|
|National Geographic||Nato Defense College||Pigorini National Museum of Prehistory and Ethnography|
|Romeing Magazine||Sator International Group – production company||Sephardi Voices Documentary Film|
|The American Academy in Rome||The Ostia Roman House Project||Young International Forum|
AUR Career Services
The Career and Internships Program office provides students with one-on-one meetings to help craft CVs and research the fields of interest. The AUR careers and internship community portal is constantly updated with full and part-time job opportunities as well as information about available internships. The office provides resources such as student internship portfolios as well as books on career related topics to consult, handouts to take away and practice on excelling at interviews.