As a G8 member nation Italy’s overall level of physical safety is high. Incidents of violent crime (e.g., assault, rape, murder) are extremely low. Italian police are known for their expertise in maintaining civil order and crowd control.
The American University of Rome encourages all its students periodically to check the U.S. Department of State webpage (or their national embassy/advisory) for latest advisories and travel warnings.
General physical security
The University is in frequent contact with both Italian law enforcement and Rome-based US consular authorities, including the US Regional Security Officer. The University provides the US Consulate in Rome with the names and US phone numbers of all visiting students.
Any plan of program closure or evacuation would be in response to specific recommendation from US consular officials. Several senior staff members have direct contact with the US consular services and will be able to rapidly disseminate information to the AUR community in the event of an emergency or important political developments in Italy or the world.
The University is located in a well-patrolled and exceptionally quiet area of Rome in close proximity to embassies and embassy residences. As recommended by security assessments, no large signs identify the University. In addition, the University maintains several security precautions to ensure the highest level of safety for its community, including:
- 24-hour camera surveillance of the university premises and perimeter and a daily review of the tapes.
- Personalized ID cards to allow admission to the University premise. (Security personnel escort visitors to their destination.)
- Mail handling procedures, including the capacity to screen packages for explosives in conformity to professional recommendations.
- Fire or premises evacuation plans reviewed in staff meetings. (Specific, trained people have responsibilities for the evacuation of the premises.)
- A large number of fire extinguishers and safety equipment.
- Alcoholic beverages are not permitted on the premises.
- Additional security measures that are not readily visible.
- The review of safety procedures regarding campus security, mail handling and other matters is continuous and involves ongoing consultation with both government and private security professionals.
The University has implemented procedures to communicate important information rapidly to students, faculty, staff and other members of the University community. The Study Abroad Office communicates important information to students and other people responsible for school and study abroad programs.