We have tried to keep the application process for student entry to AUR as simple and straightforward as possible. When you click the "Apply Now' button (on the top of every page) you'll be presented with an online form that consists of 6 steps:
- Select the details of the Program in which you're interested and the semester/year of your application.
- Enter your personal information and contact details.
- Add details of your current/last school and (non-native English speakers only) details of any English tests you have taken (TOEFL/TOIEC/IELTS).
- Enter the details of any academic or professional referees (this is optional, you can skip this and complete later).
- Upload your supporting documentation (again, this is optional and can be done at a later date). Details of required documentation is listed below.
- Finally, select how you would like to pay your application fee (this is waived for certain individuals). Undergraduate fee: $50/€50. Graduate fee: $80/€60.
That's all there is to it - your first giant step on the road to Rome.
To complete your application, we require certain documents. These will vary depending on the type of applicant you are (Graduate, Undergraduate, Visiting etc.). The full list is detailed below. Please note, not all documents must be submitted with your application form (although it will speed the process up if they are), some or all can be submitted at a later date.
- A copy of your valid passport.
- Official school/college transcripts (where applicable).
- English test results (where applicable).
- Academic/professional references (where applicable).
- Your personal statement.
- Your essay answer(s).*
*A note on essays: We ask some categories of student applicants to produce one or two short essay answers to selected questions - you'll find details under the relevant page in the side menu.
Your personal statement
Your personal statement should address the following:
The American University of Rome prepares students to live and work across cultures as skilled and knowledgeable citizens of an interconnected and ever-changing world. AUR is home to a highly diverse student body of roughly 500 students representing over forty countries. In reflection of this eclectic student body, students bring to the table a diversity in perspective that contributes and enriches our classrooms and campus.
Tell us how your personality and experience will contribute to our rich student body. We want to know: Why are you AUR?
When planning your personal statement please keep in mind that, beyond your academic record, we are keen to admit students who can demonstrate:
- Diversity of personal background and experience.
- Qualities such as leadership, motivation, concern for others and for the community.
- Non-academic achievements in the performing arts or athletics, employment or personal experiences.
- A real passion for their intended major.
Please note that we are happy to accept video personal statements.