The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

According to FERPA, college students, regardless of their age, are considered responsible adults and are allowed to determine who will receive information about them. While parents understandably have an interest in a student's academic progress, they are not automatically granted access to a student's records without written consent of the student. Parents are encouraged to consult with the student if academic information is needed.

We have provided the following answers to frequently asked questions to clarify elements of FERPA.

Can I see my student's grades, academic information, and fee status?

The simplest way for you to receive information about your student's grades, financial statement, or other personal information is for him/her to provide it to you. Students can share any of their information directly in a print-out or email. Without express permission, AUR cannot share this information with you although your student can sign a FERPA permission allowing parents/family to access this information directly.


If I'm paying for my student's education, why can't I get a copy of his records?

FERPA requires that access to a college student's records must be granted by approval of the student. You can, however, receive information about your student if you submit proof that he/she is a dependent. Contact the Office of the Registrar for information regarding this process. Students can sign a release form to grant you access to financial information.

I want to visit with my student's academic adviser about his/her academic performance. Can this be done via e-mail or over the phone?

Advisers would require written permission from the student in order to discuss information with parents.

What information is covered under FERPA and what is not?

FERPA regulations protect a student's "education records," which include grades, finances, and discipline records. Physical and mental health records are covered by other University policies, federal law, and professional ethics. In general, professionals working in these areas will not release student information except in emergency situations. Your son or daughter can choose to release information from these records to a third party, but this is done on a case-by-case basis.

Will I be contacted if my student is sick or hurt? What if my student is in academic trouble, or facing disciplinary action?

In most cases, the University will not contact you or provide medical, academic, or disciplinary information without your student's permission. In the case of an extreme emergency, where the health of your son or daughter is in serious jeopardy, or if there is a concern that he/she poses a threat to him or herself or to someone else, the University will contact you. As a general guideline, if your student is able to communicate about the situation, it is up to him/her to decide whether and how to discuss the issues.

Where can I find out more about FERPA?

The U.S. Department of Education is responsible for overseeing FERPA. See the Department's Web site for additional information: