Communication skills, the ability to communicate clearly, ethically and with relevant purpose, are essential in every walk of life and every career path. Across all industries, employers consistently rank communication skills at the top of the most important qualities of incoming professionals. The way you communicate - and the way you understand what is being communicated - will shape your entire life.
The B.A. Communication major at AUR has been designed to extend and enhance students' communication skills while giving them a deep understanding of communication theory and how it applies to intercultural communication, organizational communication, media and communication, mass communication, and diverse audiences. As your knowledge deepens this program prepares you for a future in public relations, journalism, technical writing, and countless other areas in which communication skills are essential. The field of communication is rapidly growing. AUR students are prepared to lead, innovate, and succeed in a culturally diverse world where ideas and technology change constantly.
Transfer Your Credit
Have you attended college before? You are eligible to apply as a transfer student if you are a high school graduate (or equivalent) and have completed at least one semester (12 credits) at another college, university, or a community college.
It wasn't the university that changed my life, it was the professors and my fellow students, they changed my life ... and continue to do so!
AUR put me on the path to a career I never dreamed I'd be able to aspire to. Now I edit feature films...
When I discovered AUR I was stunned, I didn't know that places like this existed. I am so grateful for the opportunities AUR has given me.
- Excellent writing skills for digital and print journalism
- A deep understanding of the nature and theory of media and communication and mass communication
- Highly developed conceptual analysis and critical thinking skills for post-graduate studies
- The training and practice to use appropriate tools & technology in multi-media production
- Knowledge of the laws and ethical guidelines that govern the media and its practitioners
- The preparation to operate successfully in a global environment characterized by diversity and intercultural communication, understanding, and respect.
Students will demonstrate the following learning outcomes:
- The ability to apply communication concepts and theories to real-world problems
- The ability to create messages adapted for audience, context, and purpose
- The ability to critically analyze media messaging
- The ability to demonstrate communication techniques and effective use of communication technologies
- The ability to apply ethical communication principles and practices
- The ability to understand and add to research within the communications field using quantitative and qualitative methodologies.
Follow AUR_COM on Instagram
Our program helps you to discover your passions whilst developing broad expertise in a wide array of fields. As you progress through the Major, you can concentrate your expertise and enthusiasms via our flexible 'clusters'; courses grouped by specialism that will allow you to focus your learning according to your talents and ambitions. You will, of course, still be able to use your free electives to add to try out other disciplines and to add ideas and thinking from complementary areas.
Major Electives: Journalism & Writing cluster